Did you know children ages 5 to 19 account for 50% of all pedestrian deaths?
Traffic deaths are up 6 percent since 2010, pushing U.S. road fatalities to the highest level in a decade. However, the percentage increase in pedestrian deaths is far outpacing those on the road, jumping 25 percent from 2010 to 2015. Walkers on smartphones, bicyclists ignoring traffic rules – coupled with distracted driving – are a deadly combination.
Teens, who are much more likely to walk distracted with a mobile device, makeup 50 percent of all pedestrian deaths. Older teens have accounted for a staggering 25 percent increase in pedestrian injuries in the past five years. Over half of all adults have been involved in a distracted walking encounter.
Tips To Stay Safe
Walking or bicycling are healthy for both people and the environment. Perhaps that is why we’ve seen a 60 percent increase in commuter biking during the past decade. But while bicycle deaths among children have thankfully decreased by 88 percent since 1975, deaths among bicyclists age 20 and older have more than tripled. Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind that will increase your chances of arriving safely at your destination, whether on foot or by pedal:
- Look left, right and left again before crossing the street
- Make eye contact with drivers of oncoming vehicles to make sure they see you
- Be aware of drivers even when you’re in a crosswalk; vehicles have blind spots
- Don’t wear headphones while walking or biking
- Never use a cell phone or other electronic device while walking or biking
- If your view is blocked, move to a place where you can see oncoming traffic
- Never rely on a car to stop
- Only cross at designated crosswalks (82 percent of pedestrian fatalities occur outside crosswalks)
- Wear bright and/or reflective clothing, especially at night.
- Always wear a helmet while biking
- Walk-in groups, if possible
- Follow all traffic laws and road signs, and signal to turn
Please be aware of your surroundings and don’t drive distracted! #hurtatwork; #voicefortheinjured
If you have been injured at work, let our attorneys help! Call Ramsay Law Firm, P.A. today!